AFS Finland (AFS) is committed to ensuring high-quality experiences for all of its participants. This requires all stakeholders to work together in a process of continuous improvement of our programs and services. With this in mind, we welcome and invite feedback of a positive or critical nature about all AFS activities.
You may lodge a complaint about any matter that has occurred in your dealings with AFS, whether this is with a local volunteer, AFS staff member, or a member of the AFS Board of Directors.
1. Personnel matters should be addressed as follows:
Personnel-related complaints should be addressed according to established personnel policies. AFS will address complaints against staff members in a manner consistent with their terms and conditions of employment.
2. Participant-related complaints should be addressed as follows:
Participant-related complaints should be addressed according to the policies established for such complaints. Investigation, communication about, and resolution of participant-related complaints must meet AFS’s participant support obligations to partner countries. Where the severity, urgency and safety of participants or others is involved, volunteers and volunteer leaders will seek the advice and assistance of AFS staff at the earliest time.
3. All business complaints should be directed to:
Partner Director, AFS Finland, Rantatie Business Park / Loikka, Hermannin rantatie 6, FI-00580 Helsinki, Finland or [email protected]
With respect to any business complaint (“Complaint”), AFS is committed to the following principles:
- Prompt action: Your Complaint will be acknowledged within seven days. A detailed response will generally be provided to you within four weeks. If we are unable to respond within four weeks we will advise you of the reasons for delay and expected date on which our response will be provided;
- Objectivity: Your Complaint will be investigated by a volunteer or staff member, who was not involved in the situation about which you are complaining and is reporting to the Ombudsman, or by the AFS Ombudsman directly;
- Confidentiality: The privacy of all involved in the situation that is the subject of your Complaint, and confidentiality will be respected wherever possible;
- Responsiveness: AFS’s response to you will address the specific matters of your Complaint and provide details of how we intend to investigate and address the issues raised in your Complaint;
- Low cost: We will strive to minimize any expense involved in your submission of a Complaint to AFS;
- Opportunity for Review: If you are dissatisfied with the initial response to your Complaint, you may request escalation for further review, to a more senior staff member, or you may contact the General Counsel of AFS Intercultural Programs, Inc. at [email protected] or by letter Business Complaint Template 8 addressed to the General Counsel at AFS International, 71 West 23d St., Sixth floor, New York, NY 10010 USA; and,
- Convenience: You may make your Complaint verbally or in writing, in person, by telephone, or email. If you make a verbal Complaint, we will create a written record of your Complaint and provide you with an acknowledgement for your records.
How can I make a Complaint?
Choose one of the following options:
- Raise your Complaint with a local AFS volunteer;
- Write or email the AFS Partner Director at: [email protected]
- Telephone AFS Finland Office at + 358 9 666 644
NOTE: Complaints may also be referred to the General Counsel of AFS International at 71 West 23d St., Sixth floor, New York, NY 10010 USA, by emailing to [email protected] The AFS International Business Complaint Policy is available here: http://www.afs.org/business-complaint-policy/